Thursday, June 20, 2013

Japanese Book Review - Wearable Dresses


I have a new favorite book.  It's a Japanese sewing book that loosely translated as "Handmade dresses that you love to wear". It's from Boutique Sha. It's a new book so I don't think it is available in English yet. I bought it from Kinokuniya.

I've already bookmarked some of the patterns in the book. Here are some of my favourites.

This dress is very easy with only 2 pattern pieces - front and back. Should be easy but afraid that it will be too baggy?

Colour block dress
 This one looks so comfy. But the shape may not be suitable for me?

knit dress
 Smock dress with ties.

smock dress
And, this is my favorite. It's a wrap dress. Looks so sweet and pretty.  I've already cut out the fabric for this one using some very light weight cotton have on hand. It's a bit sheer so I'll wear a slip under it. Can't wait to sew it up.


I love this one that is a front button dress that double up as a light jacket.


This one is shorter with buttons on the bodice and gathered skirt.


Another of my favorite. Peplum style dress. It looks like 2 piece but in actual fact, it is a dress with elastic waist.


Dress no. 27 is using the same pattern piece as no. 25 above. So, if you cut out this pattern pieces, you can make 2 dresses!  Instead of a peplum, you make a ruffle at the skirt hem and a self-fabric ties.  I've also cut out the fabric for this one so let's see how it goes.


Most of the patterns for the 27 dresses are using common pieces so you can make different style with the same pieces, save time in cutting the pieces! But like all japanese pattern book, you need to trace carefully over the different color codes. This one has few pattern pieces so the lines don't overlapped as much.


I like that the style of this book is very wearable and not too boxy like most japanese sewing pattern book.  So, hopefully I will be able to sew them up over the next few weekends and post them on the blog.

No comments: