Friday, December 16, 2011

Felt Finger puppets

My girl wanted to learn sewing and I thought felt will be a good starting point.

We browsed through some sewing books on felt and came across some cowboy finger puppet. She was really excited on the idea to sew something herself.

First we brainstormed on what she wants to make. She decided that she wants a girl and a boy. She choose the color and I helped her to cut out the tiny pieces like hair, main body, skirt, shorts etc. 

I taught her the basic on threading the needle and helped her to tie the knot at the end of the thread. She did most of the sewing for the hair, skirt and top. I helped her to sew up the eyes and mouth and the shorts since it is neater and faster, of course.  I was doing my sewing and teaching her at the same time.


I would say she did well for a 6 year old. I'm impressed that she didn't get pricked by the needle and is able to handle the needle well. I chose a bigger needle with a bigger eye so she can thread easily.

Her finished product! the skirt, shorts and top can be taken out. likewise the long hair for the girl can also be removed. 

No comments: