Wednesday, February 29, 2012

Butterick 5612 - A Review

I've sewn up a Tunic for myself using Butterick 5612. I  bought the downloaded version from Print2Sew. It is not completed yet since I've not yet sewn on the buttons.

I chose View B but did a few modification.

The fabric is some light weight blue cotton that I bought sometime ago from  I've chose size 10 for the top and size 12 for waist and hip.  But it was still gaping at the neckline for me so I cut off some length from the neck band before attaching to the neckline.  The instruction for the placket was a bit confusing and the small picture doesn't help too. In the end, I just use my common sense and attach it. Not sure if it's the right method but it works.

In my opinion, the sleeve was also too big and it could use some slimming down. I didn't adjust the sleeve though since I can wear them rolled up.

The casing for the drawstring was quite a hassle so I did away with it and just sew 2 belt loops at the waist area and insert the drawstring through.

Here's the back view of the tunic. The raglan sleeve style tunic is quite nice on me since it is not so form fitting and the drawstring at the waist gives it some shape. I also love the 2 big pockets that is just the right size for me!

In my next post, I'll be sharing a tutorial on sewing on buttons and button holes using the sewing machine.  Stay posted!

No comments: